Food should be thoroughly defrosted before cooking unless the food manufacturer’s instructions tell tell you to cook from frozen.
If food is not completely defrosted, there is a danger that the centre of the food may not reach a safe cooking temperature and potentially harmful bacteria that is normally killed by the cooking process could still remain.
Methods used to defrost food
- If you have enough time, place food in the fridge and allow it to defrost naturally. This way the defrosted food is stored at a safe temperature.
- Some foods can be place in a colander and defrosted by by placing under cold running water. This will gradually defrost the food and keep it at a safe temperature. Clean and disinfect the sink once defrosting is complete.
- Food can be defrosted in a microwave oven using the defrost setting. Consult the manufacturers instructions for defrosting times.
- Some normal ovens have a defrost setting that utilises the internal fan to circulate warm air over the food. Food defrosted in this manner should be placed in te a cool place once it has been defrosted because harmful bacteria can easily grow on food in such warm conditions.
- Food can be defrosted by covering and leaving out at room temperature. Food defrosted in this manner should be placed in te a cool place once it has been defrosted because harmful bacteria can easily grow on food in such warm conditions.
#defrostingfood #colander #safecookingtemperature #ovens #frozen #cookingmethods