From Cookipedia(Redirected from Sweetmeats)
Confectionery are sweet food items that use various types of sugar as a core ingredient. Modern usage may include substances rich in artificial sweeteners as well. The word candy is also used for the extensive variety of candies that comprise confectionery.
- In Britain, Ireland and some Commonwealth countries, "sweets", or "sweeties". In North-West England, especially Lancashire, toffees is often used as a generic term for all confectionery.
- In Australia and New Zealand, "lollies".
- In India, Southeast Asia and the Middle East, "sweetmeat or sweetmeats".
- Sweetmeat can also refer to the testicles
- In North America, "candy" - although this term can also refer to a specific range of confectionery and does not include some items called confectionery (e.g. pastry) (See below and the separate article on candy.)
See the recipes in our sweets and desserts category