Simple fish pie
This recipe was one of a few sent to us by Alastair Meikle. No specific quantities were given so I have calculated them for two people.
This quick and simple recipe is also a candidate for the Cheat category.
- 2 haddock fillets - you can leave the skin on
- 150ml milk; enough to just cover the fish fillets in a saucepan or small frying pan
- 350 g (12 oz) potatoes - cooked and mashed: see here if you need a recipe.
- 2 free range eggs
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1.5 tablespoons of plain flour
- Big pinch of turmeric
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 75 g (3 oz) cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 190° C (375° F - gas 5)
- Add the haddock fillets to a small frying pan and just cover with milk
- Bring the milk to a simmer and cook for about to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile boil the eggs.
- Once the fish starts to beak up, remove from the heat, strain and reserve the milk for the sauce.
- Melt the butter in a separate saucepan. Stir in the flour to make a roux; season to taste with sea salt (or Provençal herb salt), pepper and turmeric.
- Slowly add the milk in which the fish had been poached, to make a reasonably thick sauce. Heat gently, and keep stirring, until the flour 'explodes'.
- Add the fish to the sauce, and fold it into an oven-proof dish. Peel the hard-boiled eggs and slice, place slices evenly over the fish and sauce. Mash the potato after seasoning to taste, use a little extra butter and a splash of milk.
- Cover the fish in the dish with the mashed potato, spread the grated cheese evenly overall.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
For variety, a dash of garam masala in the mashed potato is a pleasant contrasting taste.
Add a chopped leek to the potatoes for the final 10 minutes of boiling for a little more flavour and texture.
Add a sprinkle of whole fennel seeds to the milk whilst the fish is cooking.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#simplefishpie #fish #sauce #butter #flour #fishpie #haddock #turmeric #miseenplace #plainflour #poached