Loin of pork in sherry vinegar
This zesty sweet and sour sauce goes well with pork, although it would be equally good with duck breasts.
- 4 x 275g (10 oz) pork loin chops on the bone
- Plain flour for dusting
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 400g (14 oz) can plum tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 fresh red chili pepper
- 50 ml (3.5 fl oz) red wine
- 50 ml (2 fl oz) sherry vinegar (or 50/50 with balsamic vinegar)
- 50 ml (2 fl oz) water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to season
- 1 tablespoon of yellow cornmeal (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and brown the chops for 3 minutes a side
- Add the rest of the ingredients, cover and simmer gently for 1 hour
- If the sauce needs thickening, stir in a tablespoon of cornmeal during the last 10 minutes of cooking
Serve hot with broccoli and boiled potatoes
Try with duck breasts instead of pork chops.
1 large dried chile de arbole instead of the fresh chilli made this nice and spicy.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.