Kachna s červeným zelím (Duck with red cabbage)
This recipe needs advance preparation!
This recipe comes from the Czech Republic.
I wanted to try this recipe out but our budget would not run to a large duck so I thought I would try it with a chicken instead.
It was very good and I will be made again. I would also make the cabbage again as a separate side-dish. I used goose fat instead of bacon fat and have also reduced the original quantity as it was a little greasy.
As regards the stuffing, It would be worth trying very strongly flavoured ham or even pre cooked bacon as the flavour was cooked out of the ham leaving it very bland, though I'm sure it improved the flavour of the chicken.
- 1 small red cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 scant tablespoons bacon fat, duck fat or goose fat
- 1 bay leaf
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 x 2kg whole duck
- 1 cooking apple, peeled, cored and chopped quite finely
- 1 small orange, peeled and sliced
- 75g lean ham, chopped
- Place the cabbage in a bowl, toss with 1 teaspoon of salt and set aside for 2 hours.
- Squeeze the cabbage dry.
- Heat the bacon fat in a saucepan and add the cabbage, bay leaf and pepper.
- Cover, and cook over a low heat for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. It should be hot enough to make the cabbage steam a little.
- Stuff the cavity of the duck with the apple, orange and ham.
- Truss the duck with kitchen string, sprinkle the skin with the remaining salt, and some pepper, and prick all over with a fork.
- Place on a rack in a roasting tin and roast at 180° C (350° F - gas 4) for 75-90 minutes; [fan oven 160° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour].
- Prick occasionally during the cooking time.
- Once cooked, place the duck on a heated platter and remove the kitchen string.
- Reheat the cabbage and spoon it around the duck.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#duck #cabbage #baconfat #bayleaf #ham #goosefat #orange #kitchenstring #Kachnascervenymzelim #duckfat #apple