Jamie Olivers humble home-cooked (pink) beans
This would be great as garlicky beans on toast or as an addition to any meal.
- 500g pack of dried kidney beans - you'll find the KTC beans in the Asian section of your supermarket, very reasonably priced too!
- 8 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
- A few small tomatoes
- A sprig of rosemary
- A sprig of thyme
- A handful of bay leaves
- 1 small potato, peeled and quartered
- 1 small stick of celery, I've used frozen celery
- A large bunch of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Soak the kidney beans in lots of fresh water for 24 hours (or more). Change the water and rinse them well at least 3 or 4 times during the soaking.
- Do not add any salt during this process as this will inhibit the re-hydration process.
- Drain the kidney beans after they have soaked for 24 hours.
- Put them in a big pot and cover with cold water.
- Add the herbs, apart from the parsley, garlic, potato, celery and a good pinch of black pepper. Again do not add any salt at this stage.
- Cover, bring to the boil and simmer gently for about an hour. Skim and discard any scum that rises to the surface.
- After an hour, drain the beans, reserving the liquor.
- Discard the celery stick and the herbs.
- In a separate bowl, add the potato.
- Squeeze the garlic from the cloves over the potatoes and discard the skins.
- Do the same with the tomatoes, again, discarding the skins.
- Add a small ladle-full of the cooking liquor, a good pinch of salt and pepper and using a potato masher, mix into a runny sauce.
- Add this mixture back into the drained beans and add the chopped parsley, olive oil and red wine vinegar and mix really well.
- Add a little more liquor if needed.
Serve on toast, garnished with fresh parsley.
- A variation on Jamie Oliver's Humble home-cooked beans from "Jamie at Home"
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#beans #kidneybeans #parsley #potato #garlic #herbs #celery #liquor #sauce #tomatoes #redwinevinegar