Jamie Oliver's eggy crumpets
I saw Jamie Oliver make these on either a Christmas special or the Jamie at home series. I've always loved egg-bread, always put chilli flakes in it, often have it with bacon and I love crumpets, yet it's taken Jamie to work out how to combine the lot into one superb breakfast meal.
See your street as it was 11 years ago! ...
- 2 crumpets - make your own, they are really easy to make - we have a simple recipe here
- 6 rashers of home smoked bacon, good quality smoked bacon or pancetta
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- Shake of hot pepper sauce
- Olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper and sea salt
- Brown sauce to serve
- Crack the eggs onto a shallow dish
- Sprinkle the chilli flakes over the eggs, season with salt and pepper. Finish with a shake of hot pepper sauce and whisk well with a fork
- Heat a frying pan with a little olive oil and fry the bacon until it's crispy. The benefit of using good home smoked bacon or pancetta is that it has an extremely low water content and it won't fill the pan with liquid
- Soak the crumpets in the egg mixture, turning a few times to get as much egg soaked up as you can
- Using the nice bacon flavoured oil, in the same pan, cook the crumpets for 3 minutes a side. Pour any extra egg over the crumpets, that way you don't waste any chilli!
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.