Home made 5 spice powder recipe
I started to investigate making my own Chinese 5 spice powder at home when for some unknown reason, my 5 spice powder could not be found in the spice cabinet. I have all of the whole ingredients in massive quantities, so thought it might be fun to make my own blend.
This recipe is only practical if you have the whole spices in large quantities, probably by buying from your local Chinese wholesalers. It would be expensive to make this from spices sold in those ridiculous little glass containers!
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 4 teaspoons Szechuan peppercorns ( 8 grams )
- 6 to 10 clove buds ( < 1 gram )
- Cinnamon sticks, you can use cassia bark as a substitute for cinnamon (6 grams)
- 16 whole star anise ( 12 grams )
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds ( 8 grams )
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds ( 6 grams )
- Heat all of the ingredients in a small pan or wok for about 4 minutes or until the gorgeous aromas are released.
- Allow to cool.
- Blitz all of the ingredients to a powder in a coffee grinder.
- with this quantity of whole spices, it might be an idea to give the grinder a few minutes rest halfway through to save the motor
- Store in an airtight container.
To aid other cooks in arriving at the perfect mix, I have included suggested mixes from other people which you may also like to try:
5 spice powder, alternative mix #1
- 1 teaspoon ground Szechuan peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon ground star anise
- 1.25 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- 0.5 teaspoon ground clove buds
- 0.5 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 0.5 teaspoon table salt
- 0.25 teaspoon ground white pepper
5 spice powder, alternative mix #2
- 2 teaspoons of Szechuan peppercorns
- 0.5 teaspoons of ground clove buds
- 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
- 8 whole star anise, ground to a powder
- 1 tablespoon of ground fennel seeds
5 spice powder, alternative mix #3
- 2 tablespoons ground star anise
- 2 tablespoons ground fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons crushed cassia bark (cinnamon will a be fine substitute)
- 2 teaspoons crushed Szechuan peppercorns
- 0.25 teaspoon ground clove buds
5 spice powder, alternative mix #4
- 4 teaspoon Szechuan peppercorns
- 16 whole star anise
- 12 clove buds
- 10 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.