Gestoofde kabeljauwstaart (Steamed cod tail)
The tail is the best part of the cod - firm, white and full of flavour.
- 800g small, new potatoes, scrubbed and sliced
- 800g cod tails (skin on), cut into 4 pieces
- 60g softened butter
- 45ml lemon juice
- 375ml dry white wine
- 50g smoked back bacon, diced
- 200g onions, peeled and sliced
- 200g carrots, peeled and sliced
- Put the potato slices and some water in a flameproof casserole and bring to the boil.
- Strain and reserve.
- Meanwhile, wash the fish pieces. pat dry and rub with a little salt.
- Using the same casserole (make sure it is dry though), melt 40g of the butter.
- Add the fish pieces and pour over the lemon juice.
- In a small frying pan, slowly sauté the bacon.
- Put the sliced potato under the cod in the casserole.
- Add the onions, carrots and bacon.
- Heat the wine until warm, a separate pan and add to the casserole.
- Dot the remaining butter over the vegetables.
- Place the dish on a rack at the lower middle height of the oven, which has been preheated to 190° C (375° F - gas 5), [fan oven 170° C] and back for about 30 minutes - for fan ovens, check at 25 minutes.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.