From Cookipedia(Redirected from Food poisoning due to cooked rice being stored at room temperature)
Bacillus cereus is an endemic, soil-dwelling bacterium. Some strains are harmful to humans and cause foodborne illness. It is the cause of "Fried Rice Syndrome," as the bacteria is classically contracted from fried rice dishes that have been sitting at room temperature for hours (such as at a buffet).
Sources of Bacillus cereus
- Diarrheal: 6-15 hours
- Emetic (vomiting): 30 minutes to 6 hours
Symptoms of Bacillus cereus poisoning
- Diarrhea: Watery diarrhea and abdominal cramps
- Emetic (vomiting): Nausea and vomiting
- 24 hours
Prevention / precautions to take
Once food has been cooked, if it is to be stored for longer than 2 hours, keep it hot (over 60°C [140°F]) or refrigerate (below 4°C [40°F]). Ideally it should be promptly consumed.