Fondant icing can be used in a number of ways:
- As the final covering for a cake
- As the foundation for final icing in place of marzipan
- To model patterns such as flowers etc. for decoration
- Using a fine sieve, sift the sugar into a large bowl
- Make a hollow in the centre
- Add the egg white, glucose and flavouring if used
- Beat the mixture into a soft paste
- Turn out onto a pastry mat or worktop that has been dusted with icing sugar and knead to a paste with lightly buttered hands
- Adjust the consistency with more sugar or water if required
- Allow to rest for 30 minutes before rolling out and using
This recipe is for basic fondant icing. Of course you can optionally add flavouring and / or colouring too.===Chef's notes=== If all of the icing is to be coloured, then add the colouring with the egg whites, otherwise knead the colouring into the paste individually
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.