- 225g (8oz) self raising flour
- 55g (2oz) butter cut into small pieces
- 25g (1oz) caster sugar
- 150ml (5fl) oz milk or buttermilk
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 220° C (425° F - gas 7)
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl, add the salt, butter and sugar
- Rub the butter into the flour then add the milk or buttermilk and mix to make a soft dough.
- This can also be done in a food processor.
- Tip out onto a floured worktop and knead lightly.
- Roll out to 2 cm (¾") thick and them cut into rounds with a 5 cm (2") pastry cutter.
- Brush the tops of the scones with a little milk.
- Place onto a lightly greased baking tray and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until they have risen and turned golden.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.