Chutneyed herrings (MoF)
From the Ministry of Food leaflet "All about Herrings" - reprinted in 1948!
- 2 level teaspoons salt
- 4 herrings, cleaned and boned
- 3 level tablespoons chutney
- Rub salt on the inside of the herrings and spread with chutney
- Fold back into shape, place on a greased ovenproof dish and cover with greased paper
- Bake in a moderate oven (180° C / 350° F / Gas 4) for 25- 30 minutes
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.