Chilled Tomatoes stuffed with a cucumber mousse
It's a simple recipe but don't forget to allow 3 hours preparation time.
Do read the Chef's notes before making this!
- Half a cucumber, peeled and deseeded (if you wish) and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoon of full cream milk
- 5 mint leaves
- 4 large tomatoes
- 200 g ricotta cheese
- 2 egg whites
- A few chives, finely chopped
- 8 teaspoons of cooking salt
- Slice the tops off the tomatoes and set to one side
- Scoop and the seeds and most of the flesh and discard
- Sprinkle the insides liberally with the salt, don't worry, you'll be throwing most of it away before you eat the tomatoes
- Turn them upside down on a plate and leave for 1 hour to drain
- Rinse thoroughly under cold running water and allow to drain or pat try with a paper towel
- Add the ricotta, cucumbers, mint leaves and the milk to a food processor with a metal blade and blitz to a purée
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks
- Fold the egg-whites into the cucumber purée and fill the tomatoes with this mixture
- Sprinkle with the chopped chives and replace the tomato tops
- Chill for at least 2 hours
- Remove from the fridge for 20 minutes before you serve them
I'll leave this recipe up for the benefit of others, however I must say this is by far the most disappointing recipe I have ever made!
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.