- Queso Chihuahua or Chihuahua cheese is a soft white cows' milk cheeses of Mexican origin. The cheese is named after its place of origin, the Mexican state of Chihuahua.
- It is one of the most popular 'melting cheeses' sold in Mexico.
- In Chihuahua, it is called queso menonita, after the Mennonite communities of northern Mexico that first produced it, while elsewhere it is called queso chihuahua. This cheese is now made by both Mennonites and non-Mennonites throughout the state and is popular all over the country.
Aroma and taste
- It is a mild melting cheese. Monterey Jack (USA) or a mild white cheddar is a good substitute for recipes calling for this cheese.
Shape, weight and size
- Sold in braids, balls or rounds.
In Chihuahua, it is called queso menonita, after the Mennonite communities of northern Mexico that first produced it, while elsewhere it is called queso chihuahua. This cheese is now made by both Mennonites and non-Mennonites throughout the state and is popular all over the country. Queso Chihuahua is good for melting, and is similar to a mild, white cheddar or Monterey Jack. It may be used in queso fundido (fondue style melted cheese), choriqueso, quesadillas, chilaquiles, chili con queso, or sauces
- This is likely to only be found in Mexico or South America, though you may find that some of our stock this cheese.
- V&V Supremo
Calories in different varieties and various types of cheeses
The number of calories in various types of cheese is very similar when you compare your cheese to a similar types of cheese.
For example, almost cheeses that are similar to Cheddar cheese have around 400 calories per 100g
If the Chihuahua cheese is not listed below, select a similar type of cheese from the list below to get a rough idea for the number of calories in Chihuahua cheese.
The calorie lists are sortable by clicking the up and down arrows in the heading columns
|Cheese type||Calories per 100g|
|Queso blanco cheese||310|
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
Errors and omissions
If you are a cheese producer and your cheese does not appear to be listed on Cookipedia or the information on your cheese is incorrect or out of date, please use the Contact the Editor page to send us a message and we will update the information on your cheese.
#chihuahuacheese #cheese #mexico #whitecheddar #cowsmilkcheeses #chilaquiles #sauces #quesadillas #cowsmilk #cheeses #montereyjack