Usually served at breakfast, this is a healthy alternative to packaged cereals. It is quite filling so you may wish to make half the quantity to start with. The main difference betweem muesli and granola is that granola is pre-cooked. Granola also contains seeds.
- 170 ml sunflower oil
- 450 g jumbo oats
- 250 g clear honey
- 110 g sunflower seeds
- 60 g pumpkin seeds
- 60 g golden linseeds
- 30 g chopped cashew nuts
- Sultanas to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C/350 F/Gas 4.
- Mix all of the ingredients together, except for the sultanas.
- Put the mixture in a large roasting tin and cook for about 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Turn the mixture every 10-15 minutes to ensure even cooking.
- Allow to cool slightly, add sultanas to taste and when completely cool, store in an air-tight container or kilner jar.
The recipe was given to me by a friend and I have adapted it to my personal taste. The original contained sesame seeds and grated coconut instead of pumpkin seeds and linseed. The latter (my version), however, is better for vegetarians as it is high in Omega-3. Also you can change the type of nut or use mixed nuts.
However, it is worth experimenting to see what suits you best.
Our local honey is only available as 'set' honey. I use it for this recipe but heat it in the microwave so that it becomes clear. It only takes a few seconds, depending on the wattage of your microwave.