Who is Chef
I am Jerry Pank, aka Chef, the funder, founder, and creator of Cookipedia. I am an extremely enthusiastic cook, however, I am a computer programmer, not a Chef! I chose the pseudonym because it felt concise at the time. It feels very pretentious now - but too late to change, so apologies to any real chefs.
Favourite TV cookery program
I'm not a big fan of competition-type cookery programs I'm afraid. I much prefer inspiration! My current favourite, Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives has inspiration in spades! It's a wacky review of viewer recommended Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives from around the US. Their chefs run through a few of their signature dishes. Get scribbling! It's fast paced, loud and lots of fun. Watching it makes me want to book the flight and find the restaurant.
The program has been around since 2006 if you drive on the wrong side of the road, but I've only recently spotted it over here. It's on most evenings at the moment in the UK, on the FoodNetwork channel. Give it a try, I promise it will give you some fresh ideas. note to self: where my kitchen can I fit a flat-top?
- Jamie Oliver - I love his style of cooking, enthusiasm and method of presentation. He may be a mockney, so what!
- Rick Stein - When he's cooking in some town square on a Gaz stove, loaded with wine!
- Antonio Carluccio - I love his rustic style of cooking and passion for local ingredients.
Ok, I know I'm slow on the up-take, but I have only just discovered Freecycle.org, a brilliant world-wide network for giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns.
Music is my life blood. Period.
- Biggest influence: Pat Metheny / Herbie Hancock / Quincy Jones / Gilles Peterson / Stevie Wonder / Gino Vanelli / Montreaux Jazz Festival
- Band: The Jazz Crusaders / The Average White Band / Led Zeppelin / Deep Purple / Gino Vanelli / Tower of Power / Aerosmith / Pat Metheny Group
- Songwriter/Composer: Joni Mitchell / Stevie Wonder / Rickie Lee Jones / Carlos Jobim / Gill Scott-Heron / Dave Bowie / Dean Friedman
- Keyboards: Bill Evans / Keith Jarrett / Herbie Hancock / Lyle Mays / Eliane Elias
- Male Vocal: Mark Murphy / Jon Lucien / Ed Motta / Donnie Hathaway / Louis Prima / Boz Scaggs / Al Jarreau / Jose James / Chet Baker / Georgie Fame
- Female Vocal: Sarah Vaughan / Ella / Joni / Rickie Lee Jones / Toki Asako
- Guitar: Pat Metheny / Lee Ritnour / Carlos Santana / Hendrix / Jeff Beck
- Bass: Marcus Miller / Jaco Pastorious
- Drums: Dave Weckl / Kim Plainfield (Jon Lucien's band) / Stevie Wonder / Billy Cobham
- Sax: Dave Sanborn / Stan Getz / Michael Brecker
- Brass: Miles Davis / Freddie Hubbard / Chuck Mangeone
All-time favourite: Pat Metheny
Where I work
I work as a development programmer for Connected
My photos on other sites
The easiest way to contact me is to use the Contact the Editor, top right, or via my talk page. I will try to get back to you as soon as I am able.