Succotash (British ingredients) (V)
Succotash using British ingredients
The version of succotash is based on Lyn Hall's 'My succotash' [Lyn Hall's Cookery Course ISBN 1840913487] which uses ingredients that would be available in the UK.
- 450 g canned sweetcorn
- 300 ml vegetable stock
- 60 g dried couscous
- 50 g Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 100g spring onions, sliced on the diagonal
- 3 sweet peppers, roasted, de-seeded and sliced. A mix of colours is good.
- 400g borlotti beans
- 1 cup garden peas
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place the couscous in a small bowl, boil the stock and pour about ¾ of it over the couscous. Leave for 15 minutes then fluff with a fork.
- Rinse the sweetcorn and beans under running cold water.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or wok, add the chilli flakes, a grind of pepper and the chopped spring onions and peppers and stir-fry for a 20 seconds and then add the sweetcorn, pulses and the remaining stock
- Bring to the boil, reduce and simmer until the stock has almost disappeared and the vegetables are heated, about 10 minutes.
- Add the couscous, mix well and serve hot.
I've used borlotti beans so there is a good colour mix, however almost any canned pulses would be fine. I often open various cans of pulses, rinse them, mix them all up in a huge bowl and freeze in small batches. A mix such as this would be ideal in this dish.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#sweetcorn #couscous #stock #borlottibeans #boil #chilliflakes #pulses #oliveoil #succotash #simmer #gardenpeas