Steven's beef stew with suet dumplings
- 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons lard or sunflower oil
- 1.1 kg stewing steak, cut into large cubes
- 2.8 litres warm beef stock
- 750 g carrots, cut into large chunks
- 1 kg potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 small Savoy cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1½ quantity of Chef's suet dumplings recipe
- Preheat the lard to a medium temperature in large pan.
- Add the onions, and stew until glossy, but not brown.
- Add the beef cubes and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat, and add the warm beef stock.
- Cook, covered, over a medium heat for one hour.
- Increase the heat, remove the lid and add the carrots.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Place the dumplings in the pan.
- Add the potatoes and bring to a gentle boil for 10 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and cook for a further 10 minutes.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.