Pickled shallots and radishes
This recipe needs advance preparation!
- 566g Shallots [20 oz]
- 566g French breakfast radish or domestic red radish 20 oz
- 12 Garlic cloves, peeled
- 1.5 tablespoons whole fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 4 fresh bay leaves (2-3 if dried)
- 56g Kosher salt [2 oz]
- 113g Table sugar [4 oz]
- 453 ml Sherry vinegar [16 oz]
- 453 ml filtered water  oz
- Trim, peel, and finely julienne the shallots. Trim, and slice the radishes very thinly on a mandolin. Trim, peel, and slice the garlic cloves very thinly on a mandolin.
- Measure the herbs, spices, sugar, vinegar and water.
- Put the sliced vegetables in a non-reactive heat-proof container.
- Combine all the herbs, spices, salt, sugar, vinegar and water in a small saucepot and bring to a boil.
- Pour the hot pickling liquid over the vegetables and lay a piece of parchment paper over the top to keep them submerged.
- Store in the refrigerator overnight.
Add a nice briny, salty, tangy element to any dish with this recipe if it needs some balance to something sweet, or fatty on the plate.
Feel free to remove or replace any of the vegetables depending on the dish you are trying to create. For a spicier dish add a small dried red chilli and leave the garlic cloves whole and divide the quantity by a third.
Recipe added by Chef Chris Day, 10 July 2011
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#pickledshallotsandradishes #vegetables #spices #vinegar #shallots #radishes #herbs #garlic #pickledshallots #driedredchilli #garliccloves