Byrek me spinaq (Spinach pie)
- 240 ml olive oil
- 30 filo pastry sheets
- 675 g spinach, chopped
- 125 g feta cheese, diced
- 50 g spring onions, chopped
- 2 free range eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Sprinkle the spinach with salt, then mix well.
- Add the cheese, oil, spring onions and eggs.
- Brush the baking tin with some of the oil, and start laying the pastry leaves inside, making sure they cover the tin by hanging them about one inch over the edges.
- First, lay two sheets, sprinkle or brush with oil, then lay two sheets, and repeat the procedure until half of the sheets are laid.
- Spread the spinach mixture over pastry sheets.
- Finish by covering the spinach with the rest of the pastry in the same manner as the bottom layers.
- Roll the hanging edges of the pastry sheets over the pie. Sprinkle the top with oil and bake at 180° C (350° F - gas 4) for about 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
A medium-sized, round baking tin is recommended because it's more authentic but any medium-sized baking tin will do.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#spinach #pastry #brush #cheese #filopastry #baking #greenvegetable #diced #yoghurt #eggs #buttermilk