(Redirected from Chinese coleslaw recipe)
An oriental slant (sic) on a common salad dish. Ideal for barbecues.
- Half a Chinese cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 6 spring onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- A handful of coriander leaves
- 20g (3/4 oz) jaggery, shaved with a mandoline
- 2 tablespoons nam pla
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- Toss the cabbage, carrot, spring onions and coriander together in a bowl
- Dissolve the jaggery in the lime juice and nam pla
- Add a twist of black pepper and add the oil whilst whisking vigorously
- Pour over the salad and toss well
Well, the best laid plans of mice and men... I couldn't get Chinese cabbage so used a sweetheart cabbage. I forgot and used all of the coriander in the marinate for the ginger-spiced lamb and after dropping (and of course, breaking) a full bottle of olive oil, time was tight, so everything went in the food processor. Anyway, it still tasted great!
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#nampla #limejuice #jaggery #salad #springonions #chinesecoleslaw #marinate #carrots #mandoline #peanutoil #foodprocessor