Violet ice cream
- 330g caster sugar
- 330ml full fat milk
- 600ml double cream
- 1½ teaspoons violet extract (or to taste)
- xx teaspoons natural violet food colouring - add a little at a time until you have the desired colour
- Put all of the ingredients except for the cream into a bowl or tall jug
- Blend until the mixture is smooth using a stick blender
- Add the cream and blend briefly
- Allow to chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour
- Pour into your ice-cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer's instructions
- Transfer into a container and keep in the freezer
How to prevent home made ice cream from freezing solid in the freezer
Home made ice cream is usually reasonably soft and 'scoopable' straight out of the ice cream maker, but once it is placed in the freezer for more than a few hours it becomes a solid block of ice, effectively.
Unfortunately without using artificial additives it is not generally possible to keep it soft once you freeze it. I have tried many suggestions and they all fail miserably, apart from this one!
Place the hard-frozen ice cream in your refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours before you want to use it and re-freeze it immediately you have scooped out what you need.
Admittedly this does require some planning ahead, but it does mean you'll have usable ice-cream.