Vepřová polévka (Czech pork soup)
- 350g lean shoulder of pork, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 115g carrots, peeled and finely diced
- Garlic, to taste, crushed with a little salt, using the flat side of a knife
- 1.5 litres pork or ham stock
- ¾ teaspoon dried marjoram
- 100g cooked barley (about 30g raw)
- To a large pot, add the pork, onion, carrot, garlic and stock
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat, then simmer for 1-1Â½ hours, until the pork is tender
- Skim if needed
- Add the marjoram and season to taste.
- Simmer for a further 5 minutes
- Divide the cooked barley and place the the bottom of 4 soup bowls.
- Ladle the soup into the bowls and serve
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.