Vegan no-egg fruit cake
Another of Mum's recipes from her sheaf of cookery notes.
- 150 ml olive oil
- 450 ml cold water
- 675 g (1.5 lb) mixed dried fruit (raisins, cherries, currants, sultanas & chopped apricots)
- 50 g (2 oz) chopped whole almonds
- 2 teaspoons ground mixed spice
- 1 tablespoon of Black treacle or molasses
- grated rind of 1 waxless lemon
- 75g (3 oz) muscovado sugar or jaggery
- 350g (12 oz) wholemeal self-raising flour
after the baking
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) dark rum
- Preheat the oven to 150° C (300° F - gas 2), [fan oven 130° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Line and oil a 19 cm (7.5") round cake tin.
- Add all of the cake ingredients to a large bowl and beat well unit smooth and evenly mixed.
- Pour the mixture into the greased cake tin and bake in the middle of the oven for 2 hours.
- The cake should feel firm to the touch and sound hollow when tapped if done.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes then drizzle the rum evenly over the top of the cake.
- Leave until perfectly cool until slicing and serving.
- Mum's cookery notes.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#cake #fruit #darkrum #vegannoeggfruitcake #cookery #cherries #vegan #molasses #almonds #currants #mixedspice