Tisdagssoppa (Tuesday soup)
- 450g gammon, in one piece
- 1.4 litres ham or pork stock
- 3 tablespoons barley
- ½ celeriac, peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
- ¼ swede, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 30 ml milk
- 2½ tablespoons flour
- Salt and pepper
- Rinse the pork and place in a large pan with the stock.
- Bring to the boil and skim off any foam.
- Simmer for 1½ hours.
- Rinse the barley and add to the soup.
- Boil for 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and simmer for about 30 minutes or until soft
- Pour off the stock and strain it.
- Reserve the meat and vegetables and re-heat the stock.
- Stir the flour and milk together until smooth and gradually add to the boiling stock.
- Cut up the meat and place back in the soup, together with the vegetables.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes, season to taste and serve.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.