The renowned Mr Brown's Pulled Pork (Slow cooker recipe)
This recipe needs advance preparation!
Ideally this should also marinade for 12 hours in the fridge to allow the flavours to penetrate. However as there are lots of powerful spices in this, coupled with an 8 hour cook, I think it will be just as good without the extended marinating.
I have included this in the North American recipe category as a homage to the original.
- 1.3 kg (3 lb) boneless pork shoulder.
- ½ tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- ½ tablespoon coarsely ground Szechuan pepper
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika powder
- 3 tablespoons paprika powder
- 4 tablespoons cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder)
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or a chilli powder mix of your choice
- ½ cup Shaoxing rice wine, sherry or even spirit of your choice
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 Bramley apple, peeled, cored and sliced
<gallery widths=300px heights=300px perrow=5>
- Mix the spices, cut deep slashes on both sides of the joint so you have lots af places to pack the rub into.
- Carefully slice the rind from the joint and discard it.
- Ensure that the rub fills all of the cuts you've made and all surfaces are well covered.
- Chop the apple and onion and place in the base of the slow cooker
- Sit the pork on top of the onions and apples.
- Pour the wine down the side of the cooker so as not to wash off the rub.
- Slow cook on low for 8 hours. It never seems to hurt if you cook a dish like this for longer, so don't worry if you have to leave it cooking for longer.
- If you get the chance, turn the meat halfway through the cooking process
- 30 minutes before you are ready to serve, use two forks and shred the meat while it's still in the slow cooker and then leave it to cook in the gravy for the final 30 minutes.
- A comprehensive guide to roast meat cooking times - give the time you want to carve your roast and we'll give you a timed step-by-step roasting guide
- Pulled pork
- The renowned Mr Brown Pulled Pork - Oriental
- The renowned Mr Brown's Pulled Pork (Slow cooker recipe)
- The renowned Mr Brown's Pulled Pork (Sous-Vide recipe)
- Cochinita pibil
- Beer pickled belly of pork
- Eight hour smoky pulled pork in Guinness
- Pulled pork (slow cooker recipe)
- Slow roast recipes
- Our smoker recipe section
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#slowcooker #onion #groundblackpepper #smokedpaprikapowder #vegetables #greensalad #coarseseasalt #chillipowder #sherry #cayennepepper #apple