Szeged gulyás of fowl (HC)
Chicken goulash from Szeged, a city in south-east Hungary, close the borders of Serbia and Romania.
You can discover more about Hungarian recipes and specialist suppliers here.
- 3 chickens, parson's nose removed
- 4 onions
- 3 oz [85 g] lard
- 2 lbs [900 g] potatoes
- 3 carrots
- Salt, paprika, caraway seed
- 6 tomatoes or a tablespoon of tomato purée
- Mince the onions and fry them a golden-brown in the lard.
- Add paprika, a little water, a few crushed caraway seeds, the chickens, each divided into 8 parts, and let the whole stew slowly.
- When the meat is half-done add the diced potatoes, the sliced carrots and tomatoes or tomato purée.
- Stew the whole, adding a little water now and then.
- The sliced carrots may be boiled in a separate saucepan and their liquor used instead of water.
- Before serving boil some csipetke in the gravy.
You might prefer to use chicken stock instead of water.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.