Sweet and sour spare ribs
- 675 g (1.5 lb) spare rib chops or escalopes of pork tenderloin fillet
- Juice of 1 lemon or lime.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup of water
- ¼ cup jaggery or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons of Szechuan peppercorns
- 1 dried red chili, crushed.
- ¼ cup vinegar of your choice. Chinese black vinegar is nice with this.
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- ¾ cup sweet peppers, deseeded and chopped (any colours)
- ¼ cup onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- * 1 medium can of pineapple chunks will provide enough juice and chunks for this dish.
- Cut the ribs into individual chops, if they are long, cut them in half lengthwise too.
- Marinade the ribs or escalopes of pork tenderloin fillet in lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of crushed Szechuan peppercorns and a little salt for an hour or so to tenderise.
- Heat the oil in a wok and brown the ribs for 4 minutes, turning often.
- Add the water and vinegar, the remaining teaspoon of crushed Szechuan peppercorns, the crushed chili and bring to the boil and simmer until properly cooked (about 10 to 15 minutes) - just 5 minutes if using thin fillet.
- Remove the ribs set to one side, leaving a little liquid/oil in the wok.
- Add the onions and peppers and sautée for a few minutes.
- Pre-mix the cornflour in a little cold water.
- Add the pineapple juice, salt, jaggery, soy sauce to the wok, stir in the cornflour and mix well.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often as the mixture thickens.
- Add the ribs back to the wok together with the pineapple chunks and simmer for 5 minutes.
Made this with escalopes of pork tenderloin fillet in place of the spare-ribs as they were on special offer.
Some fresh green vegetables, such as peas would have been nice, added at the very end to contrast with the highly flavoured sauce.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#pineapple #wok #ribs #cornflour #juice #sweetandsourspareribs #plainboiledrice #simmer #vinegar #jaggery #boiledorsimmered