Swedish herrings (MoF)
From the Ministry of Food leaflet "All about Herrings" - reprinted in 1948!
- 4 herrings, cleaned and boned
- 2 level teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1.5 level tablespoons sugar
- ¼ level teaspoons pepper
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 2 level tablespoons breadcrumbs
- Rub the herring fillets well with the salt and place the fillets overlapping slightly, in a flat dish
- Mix the vinegar, water, sugar, peppers and cloves together and pour over the herrings
- Sprinkle on the crumbs and bake in a moderate oven (180° C / 350°F / Gas 4) for 20-25 minutes
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.