Stoemp (Belgian mash with vegetables)
In a way, Stoemp is similar to the British bubble and squeak, except that you can use any vegetable to replace the cabbage. This recipe is for a carrot Stoemp, but other popular vegetables are Brussels sprouts and leeks,
- 500g carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 500g potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 75 g butter
- Boil the carrots and potatoes in two separate pans, until very tender
- In a large frying pan, sauté the onion in 40g of the butter.
- When soft, add the carrots and cooked potatoes and stir.
- Add salt and pepper.
- After 5 minutes, crush the vegetables but not so as to completely mix the two main ingredients, while adding the remaining butter.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste and serve very hot.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.