Spicy lamb meatball potato and onion hotpot
4.5/5 Lip-tingling and lovely. Lovely with the sprouting broccoli. The Judge
This simple variation on Jocasta Innes' Onion, bacon and potato hotpot is an easy way to make a very impressive and economical meal.
- 50 g (2oz) butter
- 50 g (2 oz) plain flour
- 600 ml (1 pint) milk
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large onions, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 2 large potatoes (about 550g [1 lb 3 oz]), unpeeled and very thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 340 g [12 oz] lamb meatballs, halved
- a splash of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of Old India Taco Seasoning, Tex-Mex seasoning or your chosen spices
- 40 g mature Mahón-Menorca cheese, parmesan or similar strong, hard, grating cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F - gas 6)
- Use a food processor to quickly and thinly slice the potatoes and onions.
- Make a white sauce by melting the butter on a low heat in a small pan, stir in the flour and gradually whisk in the milk
- Bring to the boil stirring all the while, once smooth and thick, add the seasoning mix well and remove from the heat.
- Grease a small casserole dish with olive oil and arrange the halved meatballs in base of the dish
- Sprinkle with the meatballs with a tablespoon of Old India Taco Seasoning or your chosen spice
- Build up in layers of onion and potatoes, ending with potatoes, season with a little salt and pepper
- Pour the white sauce over the top and jiggle well to distribute the sauce evenly
- Cover and bake for 1 hour at 200° C (400° F - gas 6), uncover and reduce to 180° C (350° F - gas 4), sprinkle with the grated cheese and bake for the 1 final hour
Serve with Jamie's tender-stem broccoli
Replace the meatballs with any meat of your choice. The cooking time is easily long enough to properly cook any meat, providing it is cut into small enough pieces.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#spicylambmeatballpotatoandonionhotpot #potatoes #oliveoil #whitesauce #butter #spicyrecipes #sauce #casseroledish #miseenplace #boil #parmesan