Spicy cabbage (V)
A simple spicy vegetable dish that could be served on it's own or as an accompaniment.
- 2lb Chinese leaves (Brassica rapa, Bok choy, Siew choy)
- 3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 6 teaspoons vegetable stock
- 1-2 fresh red chillies
- 2 spring onions (scallions)
- 4-6 fresh Shiitake mushrooms or
- 4-6 dried Chinese mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- If using dried mushrooms, fill a bowl with boiling water and soak them for 30 minutes
- Slice the mushrooms thinly
- Cut the cabbage into 1.5" pieces, wash and drain
- Chop spring onions into ½" pieces - on the diagonal
- Finely slice the chillies, removing the seeds if you don't want it too hot
- Mix together the dark soy, sugar, salt, wine and stock
- Heat the oil in a wok as you would for frying onions, add chillies and spring onions and stir-fry for 2 minutes
- Add cabbage and mushrooms, reduce the heat a little and stir-fry for 5 minutes
- Add the soy sauce mixture and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes
- If the liquid has not reduced, you can pour some of the excess away - as happened when I made this for two people.
- Place in a serving bowl and sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds
- Serve immediately
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.