Slow cooked chicken (slow cooker recipe)
You will need quite a large (6.5 litre) slow cooker for this recipe. It will take about 5 hours to cook in total.
- 1.5kg whole chicken
- 30ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into 6
- 2 or more bulbs garlic, peeled
- 500ml very strong dry cider
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 900ml hot chicken stock
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 sticks celery, cut into chunks
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 10 leaves cavolo nero, chopped
- 50ml sour cream
- Preheat the slow cooker per the manufacturer's instructions.
- Remove the parson's nose from the chicken.
- Wash the chicken inside and out and dry thoroughly with kitchen towel.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the chicken, breast side down.
- Fry for 10 minutes, turning the chicken so that it is browned all over.
- Place the chicken, breast side down in the slow cooker.
- Fry the onion and garlic in the remaining oil until they are golden brown - if there is a lot of fat in the pan after browning the chicken, drain some it off.
- Add the cider, mustard, sugar and seasoning and bring to the boil.
- Pour over the chicken.
- Add the hot stock, carrots, celery and oregano, ensuring that the chicken and vegetables are covered.
- Cook, covered, on high for 4 hours, turning the chicken after 3.
- Add the kale at this stage.
- When cooked, remove the chicken from the pot and allow to rest, wrapped in foil for 20 minutes.
- Carve the chicken and remove the vegetables from the slow cooker with a slotted spoon.
- Put 600ml of the cooking stock in a jug and mix with the sour cream, to make a gravy.
- Serve the chicken pieces/slices with the vegetables and gravy.
Would also work well with pheasant, although you may need to reduce the cooking time.
Do not throw away the left over liquid. Keep it and use to make stock.
- Get chicken pieces the economical way, joint the chicken yourself
- Roast a whole chicken in a slow cooker
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.