Slow-cooked shin of beef
This is a delicious and extremely economical dish. 800g shin of beef, more than enough enough for 4 people was less than £5.00 (Feb. 2009). The slow-cooking breaks down the normally tough fibres in the meat and creates a wonderful gravy
Home-made pasta is so easy to make!
- 800 g shin of beef, cut into 4 thick slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 3 ribs celery with leaves, chopped fine
- 3 medium carrots, chopped fine
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup (240ml) dry white wine or white vermouth
- 2 cups (about 480ml) vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- A few tomatoes, sliced
- 6 anchovy fillets, mashed
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 2 strips lemon peel
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup of mixed vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, peas.
- Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F - gas 4).
- Using a large heavy Dutch oven, put the butter, 2 tablespoons of the oil, the onions, celery and carrots in the pan and sauté over medium heat until the vegetables have wilted, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and lemon peel and sauté until they're fragrant, about 2 minutes more. Add the sliced tomatoes and remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a skillet until it is near the smoking point. Lightly coat the steaks with cornmeal and slip them into the oil. Brown on all sides and place them in the Dutch oven on top of the vegetables.
- Place the wine in the skillet and boil until reduced by one-half, deglaze the pan, scraping up any brown residue. Pour this over the casserole.
- Heat the vegetable stock to a boil in the skillet, whisking in the tomato puree and anchovies. Add this to the casserole, along with the herbs, several grindings of pepper, and a large pinch of salt. The liquid should cover about ¾ of the meat steaks. If not, add extra water.
- Bring the pot to a simmer, cover, and place in the oven. Cook for approximately 2 hours - checking halfway through that it has not dried out too much and correct by adding more stock.
- If you are 'using up' odd vegetables such as broccoli florets etc, stir them when the casserole has 30 minutes left to cook.
Serve with crispy jacket potatoes
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.