An economical, yet tasty take on the famous Lobster thermidor recipe.
- 450 g (1lb) cooked king prawns
- 50 g (2 oz) butter
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 275 ml (1/2 pint) full cream milk
- 5 tablespoons (60 ml) dry sherry
- 25 g (1 oz) plain flour
- pinch of salt - not too much parmesan can be quite salty
- 1/3 teaspoon of paprika powder (not smoked)
- 1/3 teaspoon of mustard powder
- 80 g freshly grated parmesan cheese
- grind of black pepper
- Preheat the grill.
- Ensure the prawns are properly defrosted if frozen.
- Pat the prawns dry on a tea-towel.
- melt half of the butter in a pan and gently sauté the onions until translucent.
- Add the flour, mix into a roux and then gradually stir in the milk.
- Just start to bring the sauce to the boil then reduce the heat and stir until it thickens.
- Add the parsley and tarragon.
- Mix in the sherry and spices, season to taste and adjust to your liking.
- Add the prawns, remaining butter and half of the cheese. Mix well and then spoon the mixture into lightly greased gratin dishes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and brown under the grill.
Use crayfish tails
If you are struggling to get hold of fresh tarragon, at a push you could add 1 heaped teaspoon of dried tarragon to a little boiled water, allow it to rehydrate, drain any liquid and then use, however, fresh is plainly better.
This was very delicious and will be made again and again.
Interesting lobster recipes
- All about the lobster
- Lobster roll - a kind of sandwich filled with lobster meat
- Lobster thermidor - lobster cooked with a rich creamy seafood sauce, topped with parmesan cheese
- Lobster Newberg - the story of how Lobster a la Wenberg became Lobster a la Newberg
- Bill Granger's Lobster with Preserved Lemon - Australian chef and restaurateur, Bill Granger shows us an unusual way to prepare lobster tails with preserved lemons
- Spicy prawn ravioli in lobster bisque - a pasta dish with lobster meat
- Lobster and coconut soup with ginger - a Delia Smith cheat to turn a great soup into a brilliant one
- Peppers stuffed with lobster cream (TM) - small sweet peppers filled with a creamy seafood sauce, created with Thermomix
- Lobster bisque - make the classic lobster soup at home
- Prawn thermidor - an economical way to assimilate the classic lobster dish
- Thermidor sauce - make the classic thermidor sauce to use with pasta, vegetables or even as a dip
- Dublin lawyer - a rich Irish seafood dish utilising fresh lobster, cream, whiskey and sometimes mushrooms
- Salmon and prawn tagliatelle - a seafood dish using lobster bisque
- Fish chunks in lobster sauce with fresh pasta - another seafood dish using lobster bisque
Cheaper than lobster
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#prawns #tarragon #prawnthermidor #butter #onions #kingprawns #grill #cheese #parsley #roux #lobsterthermidor