Pig's head, boiled (Mrs Beeton's)
This recipe needs advance preparation!
This is from Mrs Beeton's Cookery Book. This copy was a gift, dated 1950
I tried in vain but could not find a use for the left over hair, eyes, snout and brains!
- Scald and cleanse the head thoroughly, removing the hair, eyes, snout and brains
- Soak in strong salt and water for about 24 hours, changing the water 2 or 3 times, then drain and dry well
- Mix the salt and saltpeter together, run it well into every part of the head, repeat this process daily for 5 to 6 days
- Drain the head from brine, place in a stew pan containing sufficient warm water to cover it, bring to the boil and skim well
- Simmer gently for 3 ½ hours
Serve with pease pudding
Please research the risks of using saltpeter if you ever attempt this recipe!
* How to prepare and cook a pig's head; a step by step pictorial guide.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#saltpeter #peasepudding #unusualrecipes #simmer #boil