Pecorino stuffed chorizo burgers
The inspiration for this recipe came from an episode of Triple D; Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, my favourite cooking program.
This was a fantastic and will be made again and again!
- 200g chorizo sausage
- 500 g beef mince (ground beef)
- 100 g pecorino romano, freshly grated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Mexican oregano
- Fresh herbs
- 2 large slices of bread or a cup of breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 large egg
- Blitz the bread slices to crumbs in a food processor with a metal blade.
- Soak the breadcrumbs in the milk for about 15 minutes and then squeeze out any excess milk.
- Skin the chorizo and blitz to a mince in a food processor with a metal blade.
- To the chorizo mince in the mixer, add the herbs and spices, breadcrumbs, the egg and the mince.
- Blitz until combined but be careful not ro turn it into pate!
- Divide the burgers and the cheese into four.
- Using you hands, press out into large burgers and fill with the cheese and fold up to seal. Mould into flat burgers.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes if you have the time, this seems to help firm them up and bind them together.
- Grill for 15 minutes on a tray, not a rack, turning once. I think it's nice to let them cook in their own chorizo flavoured oil.
- Rest for a 5 minutes before serving to allow the meat to relax and the cheese to melt properly.
Chorizo mince with 100g of pecorino cheese
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.