Oriental sous vide silverside beef
This recipe is similar to Shoyu beef, which is distinctly Japanese. I thought I would try a similar recipe using sous vide cooking and using everyday ingredients as some of the Japanese ingredients can be difficult to find. I also wanted to experiment with this sous vide recipe using relatively economic silverside of beef rather than beef fillet.
I've used Chardonnay instead of Mirin, not a great substitute but I always have some Chardonnay in the freezer in paper cups. Dead easy to scoop a spoonful out when needed for cooking, and it saves having to drink the dreadful stuff! light soy sauce is pretty close to shoyo. I use Frozen ginger paste which is almost as good as the real thing.
- 700g [1lb 8 oz] beef silverside joint, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger (thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled and grated)
- 1 teaspoon szechuan peppercorns crushed in a pestle and mortar
- Stamp the joint all over with a [[meat tenderiser tool. This helps to tenderize the joint and also allow the marinade to permeate the meat.
- When selecting the size of pouch to contain the beef, make one that is quite a bit larger than the joint. This seems to make it easier to seal without drawing all the marinade into the vacuum sealer.
- Being careful not to wet the inner edges of the bag where it will be sealed, add all of the ingredients to the vacuum bag.
- Set the vacuum sealer so the bag can hang vertically over the edge of the work surface.
- Press the vacuum seal button on your sealer and then cancel just as any liquid begins to be drawn into the sealing chamber. Then press heat seal to seal the bag. The pessimist in me always seals the bag a couple of times at each end, just in case!
- Sous vide cook at 68° for 12 hours for medium - well done. See Sous vide cooking times for other levels of doneness.
- Immediately the 12 hours cooking is complete, sear the outside of the joint with a blowtorch or a very hot lightly oiled pan for a minute or so.