A recipe from The Cookery Book of Lady Clarke of Tillypronie. Lady Clarke (1851-1897) collected recipes from her hostesses when visiting friends, and then tested them in her own kitchen. In 1909 her husband arranged for the recipes to be published in book form.
- 570ml double cream
- 3 eggs
- The juice of 6 oranges
- caster sugar, to taste
- The grated zest of 1 orange (use a Seville orange if in season)
- Beat the eggs into the cream
- Add the orange juice and the zest
- Add the sugar and gently cook in a double boiler, or a bowl over a saucepan of water
- Once the mixture has thickened, remove from the heat and pour into dishes or glasses
- Leave to cool before serving
Serve with Orange and almond shortbread
Use other citrus fruit if you like, or a mixture
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.