Orange biter (hot chili sauce)
Another one of my chili sauce creations!
It made more sense to measure the chillies by volume rather than weight. The chili flakes I have are slightly oily and would be heavier than truly dried chillies.
Wear rubber gloves and work in a well ventilated kitchen when handling this amount of chillies.
- 250 ml malt vinegar
- 350 ml red wine vinegar
- 250 ml juice from preserved lemons (basically very salty lemon juice)
- 200 ml water
- 100 g jaggery
- 2 pints (by volume) of Turkish chilli flakes
- 2 oranges
- Add everything but the oranges to a large pot and bring to the boil
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring often
- Meanwhile, halve the oranges and extract the juice
- Stir the chilli mix to ensure the jaggery has dissolved
- Mix in the orange juice and add the orange skins (they will be removed and discarded later)
- Simmer the mixture for another 5 minutes
- Remove from the heat and leave for 4 hours
- Remove and discard the orange skins, being careful not to waste too much sauce
- Add the mixture to a food processor with a sharp blade and reduce to a puree
- Decant into sterilised jars and store in a dark place for 3 months
This is very good - though it never got its 3 months rest! Only 1 jar left now.
See comments page for details of the even more successful 3rd batch