Onion and chilli chutney
This recipe needs advance preparation!
A tasty chutney that is quick and simple to make.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Large red onions, about 500g/1lb 2oz in total, roughly chopped
- 1 Red pepper, cored, deseeded, diced
- 1-2 Large mild red chillies, to taste, deseeded, finely chopped
- 8 Plum tomatoes, about 500g/1lb 2oz in total, roughly chopped
- 150g/5oz Caster sugar
- 150ml/5fl oz Red wine vinegar
- 1 Large bay leaf
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onions and fry gently for 5 minutes until the onions are beginning to soften.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients then simmer gently for about 45-55 minutes, stirring occasionally until the chutney is soft and thick.
- Spoon the chutney into warmed jars, smooth the tops level and cover with a waxed disc then a screw top or clip on lid.
- Leave to cool then keep up to 2 months in a cool cupboard or once opened in the fridge.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
This recipe originated from the recipe section of British Onions
#onionandchillichutney #chutney #redonions #simmer #redpepper #pickled #onions #redchillies #groundblackpepper #bayleaf #castersugar