No kneading whole grain bread recipe
This recipe needs advance preparation!
Random recipe review
Love the Cat!
Great recipe, it worked!
The simple recipe was recommended to me by one of our Chilean visitors. It does not use a breadmaker and requires no kneading. If you have not tried breadmaking before and have little or no breadmaking equipment, start with this recipe!
- ½ teaspoon dried instant yeast
- A pinch of sugar
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour plus a mixture of other whole grain flours such as buckwheat, rye, cornmeal etc.
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1.25 to 1.5 cups of lukewarm water
- Fine yellow cornmeal for dusting
- 60g poppy seeds
- Vegetable oil for greasing
- Combine the yeast and a pinch of sugar with a few tablespoons of lukewarm water, cover and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes
- To aerate the flour, flour into a large bowl. Tip any whole grains back into the bowl after sifting.
- Add the yeast and butter to the flour then pour in 1.25 to 1.5 cups of lukewarm water.
- Mix with clean hands until roughly blended, it should be quite sticky and not too dry. Adjust with extra water or flour if needed.
- Cover with plastic-wrap and leave in a warm place for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, air bubbles from the yeast activity should be obvious and the dough should be tacky but not so runny that it can't be moulded. If it is to liquid, you can rescue by adding a little more flour and leaving it to rise for another hour or so.
- Fold the poppy seeds into the dough.
- Roll in cornmeal and with floured hands, carefully place in a lightly greased loaf tin. A Pyrex bowl is a fine alternative if you don't own a loaf tin.
- Cover with a damp towel and leave to rise again in a warm place for a few hours.
- Preheat the oven to 190° C (375° F - gas 5)
- Place in the centre of the oven, taking care not to knock or it will collapse.
- Bake for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. If it still looks 'damp' it is probably not yet done. When it's properly cooked it should sound hollow when tapped.
- Allow to rest on a cooling rack for an hour or so before slicing.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#yeast #dough #flour #warmplace #poppyseeds #cornmeal #butter #nokneadingwholegrainbreadrecipe #wholewheatflour #breadmaking #coolingrack