This recipe needs advance preparation!
The mincemeat is based on an old Yorkshire recipe
- 250g raisins
- 60g sultanas
- 120g currants
- 60g mixed peel
- 120g Muscovado sugar
- 120g beef or vegetarian suet
- ½ teaspoon each ground cloves and cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ nutmeg, fresh grated
- 120g thick cut orange marmalade
- Zest and juice of ½ a lime
- 125ml brandy
- 250g cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- At least 2 weeks before required, mix all of the ingredients together. Keep in an airtight jar.
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#apples #orange #marmalade #muscovado #currants #raisins #lime #brandy #sultanas #beef #cinnamon