Mattar paneer - Indian cheesy peas.
This recipe uses ready made paneer - if you want to make your own paneer (unsalted Indian curd cheese) there is a recipe here.
- 200g paneer (unsalted Indian curd cheese)
- 450 g (1 lb) peas
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- 1.5 teaspoons ground coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 2.5 cm (1") piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- Sea salt to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee in a pan or wok and fry the ginger and onions for 4 minutes
- Add all of the spices and salt and stir fry for a minute.
- Add the peas, a few tablespoons of water and cook the peas until done and a little spicy gravy is left
- Add the paneer cubes and boil for 5 minutes
Serve hot with chapattis
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#mattarpaneer #ghee #peas #fry #spices #onions #boil #ginger #cheeseypeas #cheesypeas