Lemon curd recipe
Revision as of 17:47, 27 July 2016 by Chef
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- ½ cup (120ml) lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
- ⅓ cup (80g) sugar
- 3 free range eggs
- 90g unsalted butter
- Pinch of salt
- Grate the lemon rinds to produce two tablespoons of zest. Grate only the yellow zest, avoid the inner white pith which is bitter.
- Extract the juice from the lemons to produce ½ cup (120ml) of juice.
- Cut the butter into small chunks.
- Put eggs, zest, sugar, and salt into cooled sauce pan.
- Whisk ingredients in pan till frothy and light in colour (a minute or two).
- Add lemon juice and whisk 30 seconds.
- Add butter chunks.
- Set pan on stove burner, turn on heat to medium-to-low, and start whisking contents so they don't coagulate or stick to bottom of.
- Whisk constantly till butter melts and mixture thickens, then whisk another two minutes, but do not let mixture boil - it should be quite steamy (185°F, 85°C).
- Optional: Remove zest with the strainer over a mixing bowl and pouring the mixture through. Then work the mixture through the strainer with the spatula to strain out the zest and any egg lumps; rake mixture off bottom of strainer into bowl.
- Pour mixture from bowl into jar to within ¼ inch (0.75cm) from top, taking care not to get mixture on rim, then seal jar with lid.
- Refrigerate to thicken the product further.
Keeps for several months if refrigerated.
- Lemon curd - information page
- Lemon curd recipe
- Pumpkin lemon curd
- Lemon curd recipe (Mum's)
- Orange curd recipe (Mum's)
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.