Lady Bird Johnson's Pedernales River Chili
This is the healthier version of the famous chili con carne.
- 2 kg (4 lb) chuck steak, cubed and trimmed of fat or lean minced beef
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 Cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil for frying
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, ground to a powder in a coffee grinder or pestle and mortar
- 6 teaspoons red chilli powder
- 2 x 340 g cans of tomatoes
- 2 cups of hot water
- sea salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven
- Add the garlic and stir-fry for a minute or so
- Add the onions and the meat and sauté until the meat and the onions are cooked
- Add the remaining ingredients, bring to the boil, reduce and simmer for 1 hour
- Skim any fat from the surface
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and garnish with chopped spring onions
Reheat to serve.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#fat #garlic #grated #choppedspringonions #ladybirdjohnsonspedernalesriverchili #beans #frying #cheddarcheese #dutchoven #unusualrecipes #mincedbeef