Hut bil karfas (Baked fish and celery)
This spicy fish recipe from Algeria can be made with any firm, white fish fillets.
- 450 g celery, cut into 5 cm pieces
- Garlic to taste, crushed
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Pinch of saffron, ground
- 1 teaspoon or more of Cayenne pepper
- 45 ml olive oil
- 1.8 kg bream or sea bass fillets
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 340 g tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 190° C (375° F - gas 5).
- Mix the garlic, salt, spices and oil in a small bowl.
- Cut slashes in the fish and rub the mixture into the fish, pressing well into the slashes.
- Lay the fish on a plate and marinate for 1 hour.
- Arrange the celery in a single layer in a greased baking dish.
- Place the fish on the celery.
- Cover with the tomatoes, lemon juice and parsley.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for a further 15 minutes.
We had this with pitta breads and the delicious Oyi namulh (Korean cucumber salad). The dish has quite a lot of liquid, which we discarded, a unusual dish, but very tasty.