Gjellë me arra (Chicken with walnuts)
A very buttery chicken dish from Albania.
- Olive oil
- 4 large chicken breasts, cut into 2.5 cm cubes
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 110 g butter
- 15 finely crushed shelled walnuts
- Garlic, to taste, crushed
- 2 beaten egg yolks
- Heat some oil in a pan and cook the chicken over a medium heat until cooked.
- Remove the chicken and keep warm in a covered, hot dish.
- Put the flour in another pan and dry-cook until it becomes light brown in colour the add half of the butter (about 55 g).
- Stir in the walnuts, garlic, and the egg yolks.
- Add the juices from the other saucepan and sauté until all the ingredients thicken.
- Then immediately remove from the heat to prevent the egg yolks from solidifying and stir in the chicken.
- Melt the remaining half of the butter and cook until brown.
- Divide the chicken into servings and pour the browned butter over the top.
I made this for 2 people using 2 large chicken breasts, 6 fat garlic cloves, about 50gm of butter, a little extra olive oil in the sauce and 3 or 4 tablespoons of hot water (the liquor from cooking the broccoli) to thin the sauce a little.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.