Duck in a spicy orange sauce
I love the whole chili
5/5 Duck, orange, chili - that's the set for me! The Judge
[[Image:|thumb|300px|right|Duck in a spicy orange sauce (for two)]]
This dish is a Vietnamese slant on the French duck a l'orange but with hot and heartwarming spices.
- 4 duck legs
- 2 lemongrass stalks, trimmed and bashed and cut into 5 cm (2") lengths
- 2 red Thai chillies, slit them from top to bottom with a knife
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 7.5 cm (3") ginger root, peeled; half julienned, half in thick slices
- 900 ml (1.5 pints orange juice)
- 1 tablespoon jaggery
- 1 teaspoon five spice powder
- 3 tablespoons nam pla
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lime, quartered
- Heat a large pan and cook the duck, skin side down until crispy. The skin will provide the oil. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Remove the duck and keep about 3 tablespoons of the fat. Discard the rest
- Add all of the ginger, the garlic, lemongrass and chillies and cook until the garlic takes some colour
- Ass the jaggery, nam pla, five-spice powder and the orange juice
- Add the duck pieces, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the duck is cooked and the sauce has reduced
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Leaving in the julienned pieces of ginger, Remove the slices of gingerand the lemongrass stalks
If you reduce the quantities to make this for two, halve the duck and orange juice, use one lemon grass stalk, but I would be inclined to leave the other ingredients as they are.
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#duck #duckinaspicyorangesauce #ginger #nampla #jaggery #lemongrassstalks #orange #chillies #julienned #garlic #gingerroot